Top 5 Best Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills
Giving your lawn a perfect cut isn’t a walk in the park, especially when you live in hilly areas. But with the best riding lawn mowers things can be a little bit easier.
Mowing experience varies from one person to another. While some people may find an easy task, others need to put in more effort to achieve the best results.
Even if you have rich experience in mowing, having a high-quality riding lawn mower for hilly areas is equally important. So when it’s time to purchase such a mower, look at factors justifying the quality.
In expansive and hilly areas, you need power. And if you’ll be sitting on the mower for a long time, you should at least have some comfort.
What is a Riding Lawn Mowers for Hills and rough terrain?
If you’ve ever mowed a surface that is sloppy and undulating, you well know how challenging it is. The good news is, there is a mower that can tackle such a terrain – riding lawn mowers for hills.
These mowers allows you to adjust the height of the deck as well as adjust its position to make them cut grass in undulating surfaces effectively.
What are the factors to be considered before buying?
Since you’ll be dealing with unusual terrain, you need a mower that can match up. Consider the following features to get a mower suiting such description:
- Adjustable Cutting System: the ability to adjust the deck of your mower is a desirable feature. Such a feature allows you to trim grasses of different sizes effortlessly. However, the mower must provide an easy mechanism of adjusting the height and the size of the cutting area.
The mower should allow for easy change of the cutter blade; so that you can use a wider one if the need arises, and vice versa.
- Engine Power: The engine’s power is vital in determining the cutting performance, fuel consumption, and speed of the mower. If the engine is powerful, it drives your mower on multiple surfaces easily. It cut through dense vegetation as well as tree stumps.
What’s more, they’ll move faster, meaning you can do more work within a short time. You should, therefore, consider choosing a mower that has both front and rear-drive. Although powerful engines are great, they have a poor fuel economy.
You can choose any size of the engine between 190cc to 800cc
- Size of the Mower: size affects prices. Bigger mowers allow for faster working than smaller ones. However, they are a bit difficult to maneuver than the smaller ones. A load of work or the size of your yard should determine the size of the mower you buy.
- User-Friendliness: look for a riding lawn mower that is easy to use. So you must pay attention to essential features like the ease of launching the cutter, assemble process, packing, and ease of moving it.
- Weight: Weight is a key factor in riding lawn mower for hills because of the pressure it encounters. So you’ll need a mower with a balanced weight to give you a decent grip, especially when moving downhill. A mower with a decent weight won’t flip over easily.
- Yard Conditions: your yard is the first place to look before deciding on the type of riding lawn mower for hills. Apart from expansiveness, look at the terrain. The mower you choose should grind through the bushes well and around trees. While doing so; it should give a smooth riding experience.
Look for a balance of power and safety. Rear-engine mowers offer excellent safety, but they are slower. If your yard is sloppy, consider a powerful engine for a smooth mowing.
- Comfort and Safety: the best riding lawn mower should offer a comfortable sitting surface with safety belts. Additionally, it should have features that lower the risk of injuries. Headlights are an excellent addition, especially if you are working in a low light condition.
- Warranty: durability assurance is an essential feature in mowers. The best riding lawn mowers should have an extended warranty period.
How much do they typically cost?
One best feature to consider while buying a lawnmower is the price. But you’ll notice that riding lawn mower for hills varies in prices. The reason for the variations in prices is typically the difference in features they pack.
However, a high quality riding lawn mower for hills won’t go for anything below $2000. But you can spend as much as $6000 for premium quality stuff.
2. Comparison of the Top 5
The Troy-Bilt 42X riding lawn mower does a decent job of mowing the unwanted grass if you have a large residential area.
Its 42-inch steel deck has a dual blade system for effective mowing. With a 547cc engine capacity forward speed of 5.5 MPH and a reverse speed of up to 2.5 MPH, you’ll surely have a cleaner mower without much hassle.
Besides, it features an integrated deck wash system, which makes cleaning easy. Still, the deck is removable, and it offers 3 decent cutting modes, i.e., Discharge, mulch, and bagging.
Other vital features include1.36 gallon capacity fuel tank, comfortable high back seat, and a 7-speed transmission.
Check out the video below.
- Powerful 547cc engine
- The 42-inch mowing deck with front deck wheels prevent scalping of grass in rough conditions
- Excellent price and performance
- Some customers complained of too much vibrations
People looking for a superior cut all year round should purchase the Husqvarna LTH1738. The mower features air induction mowing technology. The uniqueness of the technology is; it draws air from both the bottom and the top of the deck, a vital feature in lifting grass. This leaves behind a superior cut.
The mower has a deck that is reinforced to withstand conditions in all seasons; thus, unmatched durability. Operation of the hydrostatic transmission is by pedal, which makes the entire practice very easy. Primarily, it offers smooth, variable forward, and reverse speed.
Besides, the comfortable steering wheel and seat ensure that you have consistent handling during mowing. Keep in mind that the mower comes with add-ons like trailers, snow blades, and brushes.
Other notable features are a 1.5-gallon fuel tank volume, 38” cutting mower deck, manual blade engagement, deck wash port, and 17hp power output.
Check out the video below.
- Excellent durability on the mower and parts
- Air induction technology ensures perfect mowing
- Easy chockless start
- Doesn’t come with assembly directions
The Troy-Bilt 540cc Briggs & Stratton Intek is an automatic mower that can handle large yards. It is heavy, weight 520 pounds, a feature that makes an excellent ride-on mower.
With a reliable 19HP and 540cc engine capacity, this mower is powerful to handle even the toughest grass. Further, the efficiency of this mower is enhanced by the 46-inch deck rider, the mower reverse capability, as well as the manual power, take off.
Apart from clearing grass, the mower gives you a comfortable ride too. The mid-back seat is comfortable, while the patented soft-touch steering wheel is kind on your hands. Again, it features a step-thru frame, which allows easy in-and-out access.
Furthermore, cleaning is easy, thanks to the integrated deck wash system. And you can adjust the deck height up 5 different positions.
- Easy cleaning thanks to the integrated deck washer
- 2-year warranty
- A lot more power than similar mowers
- Height adjustment
- Bolts might get loose easily
The Husqvarna YTH18542 stands out for its power and user-friendly nature. Thus, it can allow you to tackle a vast landscape without hassles.
It has a robust built and features geared towards the effective operation. They include an impressive 18.5 HP engine, 42” cutting deck, Rear differentials for better traction, and pedal-operated drive automatic transmission.
Watch this video for more information on the Husqvarna YTH18542.
- Has a deck wash port for easy and secure cleaning
- Air induction mowing technology for superior cut
- 16-inch turning radius allows mowing in tighter spaces
- The 2-year warranty doesn’t cover all components
Snapper BVE is a classic lawnmower for all sizes of lawns. It is a ride-on mower that is very easy to use. It offers a comfortable seat with a unique soft-touch steering wheel.
It has a rear-engine, while its general design allows you to easily reach the controls for convenience. Gain, it offers you up to 5 disc speeds on the go, making it easy to customize your operations.
Snapper 2911525BVE has a vertical stand-on-edge capability, making it easy to maintain mower.
Watch this video for more information.
- Its small size makes it easy to mower in tighter spots
- The mower steers easily and has a functional shift-on-the-fly
- It is easy to start and offer clear visibility while ridding
- Has a narrower cutting deck than the wheel spacing; so, cutting grass near objects can be little tricky
What are the typical features and problems?
While features may vary from one mower to another, all of them have the following basic features:
- They have wheels – they vary in diameter.
- They have blades that vary in size and number.
- Feature an engine – vary in size.
- Fuel tank, which varies in sizes
- Grass catchers
Common problems include:
- Overheating due to bunged cooling fins at the cylinder head
- Power loss due to a dirty air filter, Dirty spark plug or cutting taller grass
- Getting bumpy due to oils shortage
- Smoking due to faulty air filter, overly full oil chamber or oil escaping into exhaust muffler
- Carburettor issues